Monday, June 09, 2008

Chicken Satay, Potatoes, and Cold Soup

I always wanted to try chicken Satay. I worked at a restaraunt once that had it on the menu, and it looked really really good. But it was like $9 and I didn't get a staff discount on it so it didn't seem worth it for like three measly little bits of chicken on a stick. So I never tried it. Maybe I should have because then I would know what it is supposed to taste like.

I got the recipe from here. The only ingredient I changed was I added some frozen cilantro. I didn't follow the amounts closely. I barbecued the chicken and it was pretty good but I didn't like it with too much sauce. I may have used too much peanut butter. It would have been better thinner. Ian gobbled the sauce like it was going out of style. Weird.

I also got some really good baby Yukon Gold potatoes which I steamed for a bit before sticking them on the bbq in a foil pan with some butter, salt, pepper, and fresh thyme. Best. Potatoes. Ever.

Finally, I made Gazpacho which is absolutely the best on a really hot day. My own recipe which is as follows:

One can diced tomatoes
1 clove garlic, chopped fine
fresh thyme, basil, parsley and oregano. (Dried is fine. Don't make a fuss, it is too hot out. Also, you don't need all of them, just whatever you have. I didn't have any parsley today. Also, my basil was frozen.)
About 1/3 -1/2 of an English cucumber, in cubes
About 1/2 of a pepper (orange is yummy) in bite size pieces
Salt
Pepper
A glub of olive oil
A glub of Balsamic vinegar
A glub is about 1-2 tbsps. Don't worry about being precise here.
Maybe about half a cup or so of V8 or tomato juice, just to make it soupier. Not really necessary, I wouldn't go buy it just for this but if you have it, it's nice.

Just mix it all in a bowl and then put it in the fridge for an hour or two. If you want to get all fancy you could put sour cream on it and some chopped parsley or whatever. Or don't. Anyway, it is like liquid salad and very healthy. Also, as I said before, it tastes phenominal when it is very hot out.

Enjoy!

No comments: