Saturday, July 05, 2008

Berry Good Stuff.

I broke out the food dehydrator today. There was a good price on strawberries at Avery's farm market, we got 6 quarts and it was about $15. I made 10 jars of jam. I can't wait to see how it turns out. I think it is ok. Luckily, unlike pickles, I won't be waiting weeks and weeks for it to be ready. I can eat toast tomorrow with my very own jam on it! I have a couple cups of mashed berries left over, which I am going to freeze in ice cube trays for use in smoothies etc. I set aside a good size bowl of fresh berries for use with cream. Yummmmmmm..... And all the rest has gone into the dehydrator.

I just got the dehydrator for Christmas, and I haven't used it yet. I was really waiting for this time of year, when all the best stuff goes on sale. My plans for the summer involve dried strawberries and blueberries, dried cherries (maybe, if I can avoid eating them all first) Maybe blueberry syrup, and hopefully some raspberry jam as well. The raspberries and blueberries should be free, providing I can put in the effort to haul myself out to the bush and pick them. Not fun work, but worth it in the end. It is at this time of the year (July - October) I appreciate living in the Maritimes the most. The one thing I really miss from back home this time of the year is the BC Peaches. OMG. There is nothing else like them on earth.

***

I would also like to mention, I am aware I missed my post for Monday, with the cook book. I havent forgotten. I am going to do two next Monday to make up for it. But seriously. Does anybody even read this? Look at the stat counter on the side. Like 250 people since I started. And I just found out it has been counting me too. Lame. So really, I am not letting anybody down with my slackernly behaviour. (Like how I just made up a word there? Cool, eh!)

No comments: