Thursday, February 07, 2008

Orange Muffins



These came out great. I baked these orange muffins from this recipe today. I had a helper. He stirred. They came out great. They were soft and fluffy and only a little sweet. Not unpleasantly un-sweet but rather just a hint of sweetness. I did make some changes to the recipe (naturally). I subbed out 1/4 cup of the flour for whole wheat (I need to sneak it in whenever I can) and I also subbed the butter out for oil instead, partly because it's better for you, but partly because I was too lazy to melt butter. I would have opted out of the oil entirely and replaced it with apple sauce but all I had was blueberry apple sauce. I also added in about 1/2 cup of dried cranberries instead of the nuts. (I hate nuts in baking. I don't know why, because I like nuts by themselves) Anyway, the only real change I would make in the future would be to double the amount of cranberries. They were few and far between. Oh, and I also added about 1/2 teaspoon each of cinnamon and nutmeg. I figured they went so well in the cranberry sauce I made for Christmas, that it wouldn't hurt in here. Oh yeah, plus I left off the topping. And the picture reminded me that I put in about 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Geeze, it wasn't very much like the actual recipe at all, was it!


One wierd thing was that it only made 11 muffins. Maybe the extra cranberries would help with that next time? Who knows. Anyway, I will absolutely be making these again, modifications in place. And I won't forget my helper!



I have a post about quiche in the works too so stay tuned.

No comments: